Our defining reality is the gospel
“the gospel [God] promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures regarding his Son, who as to his earthly life was a descendant of David,and who through the Spirit of holiness was appointed the Son of God in power by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Romans 1:1–4 NIV11)
Church is great when the truth of the gospel message is expressed in everything we do together.
It's simple as 123Church
1. The gospel is the message of the ONE saviour for all people.
2. The gospel leads us to make TWO responses: worship of God and witness to the world.
3. The gospel comes with THREE gifts to serve God's purposes: Word (the Bible); Prayer; Community.
What God is doing in our Church
What God is doing in church: the 5Ms
- Magnification: people love God with all their heart, mind, soul, and strength in true worship
- Membership: people join the church community.
- Maturity: people grow to maturity in Christ.
- Ministry: people become active in using their gifts to build the church.
- Mission: people share in Christ’s work of salvation through the preaching of the gospel.
Church is good when the reality of the gospel is causing us to grow in these 5Ms.
Three Gifts for Growing Together
- Gift One: The Bible: God has given us his word, the Bible, to light our path like a torch on a dark night. It is good to share our thoughts, feelings and experiences—but in the end it’s God who not only has the answers, but also knows which are the truly important questions. (Psalm 1; Psalm 19)
- Gift Two: Prayer: We also need God to work in our hearts and minds to help us understand and change. That’s why prayer is such a precious gift — God invites us to come to him and ask him to work in our lives, and he promises to give us only good gifts in response to our prayers. (Matthew 7:7-11)
- Gift Three: Community: God also gives us each other—to help, to urge, to encourage and to sharpen each other. (Romans 12:4-21)
Church is good when we rely on these gifts to serve God’s purposes.
Our context: people, communities
Trinity Chapel is a community of people meeting on the edge of the Macquarie Uni Campus, and working out what following Jesus means right here! We are 'evangelical' Christians, meaning that we believe the Bible should be at the heart of our life, and that the gospel (the message of Jesus) should be at the heart of how we relate to the world around us. We have a strong focus on students, though our members include people from all walks of life (retirees, young families, kids, workers).
As a church we seek to serve these are our local communities who we seek to love and serve by sharing with them the gospel message and our lives:
- Robert Menzies College
- Macquarie University
- The Macquarie Park Neighbourhood
What counts as a healthy church?
We want everything you've read above to practically shape our community, that's why we work so that:
- everyone who comes knows our defining reality—the gospel message (whether they are Christian or not);
- everyone who is a member of Trinity Chapel is committed to God's purposes for our church.
- individually and together we celebrate and rely on God’s gifts of Word, Prayer, Community.
- we share a vision not just for ourselves but for our broader community and our place within the community.